Criminal Injury

Criminal Injury

If you have been physically or mentally injured as the blameless victim of a crime, you may be able to claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

Claims for compensation for criminal injury have to be submitted in a shorter timeframe than other personal injury claims and are assessed according to the scheme rules. We can advise you if you have a claim and help you submit one to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)

The CICA will consider the following claims:

  • physical or mental injury following a violent crime;
  • sexual or physical abuse;
  • if you have lost or limited capacity to work as a direct result of criminal injury, you may be able to claim for loss of earnings;
  • if your injuries have meant you have been unable to work for more than 28 weeks, you may be able to claim certain costs that you have incurred. These are known as special expenses payments;
  • if a violent crime causes the death of someone close to you, you may be able to claim for bereavement payments, payments for loss of parental services and financial dependency; and funeral payments.

If you think you have a claim, then get in touch with us and we will help you.