Price Slater Gawne offer expert advice and support for those who are considering or who have decided to take the step towards divorce proceedings.
At present, it is necessary for a couple to have been married for a year before they can apply for a divorce.
There is one ground that the marriage has irretrievably broken down, shown by using one of five factors:
- Adultery – one party has committed adultery and the other party finds it intolerable to live with him/her.
- Unreasonable behaviour – one party has behaved in a way that the other cannot reasonably be expected to live with.
- Two years separation with consent – the parties have been living apart for at least two years and they agree to a divorce.
- Desertion for 2 years – which is very rarely used.
- Five years separation – the parties have been living apart for at least five years.
Usually a divorce takes about 5-6 months to progress to conclusion, does not require attendance at court and we deal with all the necessary paperwork on your behalf.
Frequently, lawyers do not apply for Decree Absolute (the final decree) until financial matters are resolved. Our expert divorce lawyers at Price Slater Gawne can advise you on the specifics of your case including the associated financial consequences.
We understand that it can be very difficult to make the decision to bring a marriage or civil partnership to an end.
As part of our discussions with you, we will also advise you on making a new will.
Our family department has over 50 years experience of family law, advising and supporting clients and their families from all over England and Wales.
For a free, no obligation discussion to find out how we can help you can:
If you are based outside of the Manchester area, we can correspond with you by email and we can arrange interviews by phone, Skype, Facetime or Zoom.