Arrangements for Children

Arrangements for Children

When a relationship breaks down it is often a stressful and emotional time for both the adults and also any children.

At Price Slater Gawne we are able to offer sympathetic and objective advice to ensure that any issues concerning arrangements for children are resolved with the least amount of stress.

We understand that arrangements and issues concerning your children can be a very emotional and stressful part of any separation.

We are mindful that the children’s interests are paramount and encourage discussion through mediation or collaborative meetings. But in the event that arrangements cannot be agreed, we will guide you through any legal proceedings.
If matters cannot be resolved without court proceedings, there are a range of applications that can be made. The most common are:

  • Child Arrangements Order – to determine where children should live or how their time should be spent.
  • Prohibited Steps Order – which prevents one parent acting in a way which the other disagrees with e.g. changing a child’s surname
  • Specific Issue Order – if a parent disagrees about a specific issue e.g. which school a child can attend then the court can make an order
  • Taking children out of the country (jurisdiction) – if one parent wishes to take a child abroad for a long period of time and the other does not agree then it is necessary to apply to the court for “leave” permission from the court to do so.

We have considerable experience in dealing with applications by parents to the family court concerning arrangements for children. We also assist grandparents who are experiencing difficulties in seeing their grandchildren.

When making arrangements for children, you also need to consider appointing guardians in your will. We can consider this as part of our discussions with you.

Our family department has over 50 years experience of family law, advising and supporting clients and their families from all over England and Wales.

To find out how we can help you can:

Speak to one of our divorce experts, Carole Nettleton or Nicholas Clough on 0161 615 5554
or email us at
or contact us via the live chat on the website (click on the chat tab)

If you are based outside of the Manchester area, we can correspond with you by email and we can arrange interviews by phone, Skype, Facetime or Zoom.