Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has reached an out of court settlement with the widow of a patient who died from blood poisoning caused by colitis.

Brian Wade (69) was admitted to Tameside Hospital on 23rd January 2009. He was suffering from stomach ache, diarrhoea and was passing blood. Doctors suspected he was suffering from colitis. The family allege that Mr Ward was then left on a ward for 5 days without any treatment or investigations. It was eventually discovered that his bowel had ruptured and he underwent emergency surgery. Sadly he died on 6th February in the intensive care unit.

Mr Wade was the main carer for his wife. The case settled for £40,000 although the Trust did not admit liability. Mrs Wade will use part of the award to pay for her future care which would have been provided by her husband.

The Trust is currently under investigation in relation to higher than average death rates after the recent Mid-Staffordshire Inquiry.